Monday, April 1, 2013

Who knew .... ?

So, apparently in-store made items do not necessarily have to have sulphites listed in their ingredients.  Ask me how I know this ... you know you want to.

Products that are produced and packaged (in bulk) in-store are exempt from ingredient declaration (see A16), which means that the bread cubes I used for the stuffing in yesterday's turkey didn't need an allergen label, this despite the fact that these cubes are the only logical source for the (thankfully) minor reaction that William had after supper last night.  *sigh*

I'll admit, I was in a hurry and used what I had on hand in the freezer.  I did check the label, but assumed because there wasn't a "contains ..." statement that it was okay.  If I'd have been thinking, I'd have noticed that the package didn't list "Contains:  wheat," which should have put up a warning flag.

Regardless, he's fine today, but I'll be making my own bread cubes from now on, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment