Friday, September 21, 2012

First reaction

"This can't be happening," was the first thing that ran through my mind that afternoon.

We'd been out for lunch after going to the Vancouver Aquarium, when William said he had to go to the bathroom for the second time since starting lunch. He barely made it to the bathroom, where he had a serious case of diarrhoea. When I went to help him with his pants, I noticed that he had a huge scarlet splotch across his lower back. A closer inspection revealed more splotches and a growing number of hives.

Worried, I took William back to the table, where Grampa and William's older brother were still eating. I told them I suspected William was having a serious allergic reaction, and left them to quickly finish up and pay.

Once out at the truck, I dug out some Claritin (all that I had on hand) and gave him a dose of that. In the brief period of time between leaving the bathroom and giving him the antihistamine, he had more hives, and his face and neck had begun to swell.

His symptoms got worse--more diarrhoea, more hives, facial and neck swelling, tongue numbness--on the way to the medical clinic. We left the clinic with a prescription, clutched in my hand, for an Epipen Jr, in case of further anaphylactic reaction.

We lucked out with this first reaction, as the facial/neck swelling and tongue numbness had begun to subside by the time we saw the doctor. William had to have Benadryl every six hours for two days, but we didn't have to use the Epipen Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment