Wednesday, January 30, 2013

No outside food policies

Our local rec complex has a policy that no outside food be brought in.  I understand the motivation for it, even though I don't agree with it, and know that it's caused a lot of divisiveness within the community, especially when it comes to supplying stuff for hockey tournaments.  We're getting everything organized for our pre-novice hockey tournament in March, and the policy came up at the parents' meeting.  I hadn't really thought about it before then, but this is certainly something I'm going to have to deal with (and probably not just at our rec complex, now that I think about it).

We've had a few reactions from food others have prepared, things that they've assured us are "safe."  I'm sorry, but that's something I'd prefer to verify for myself, and am to the point that unless I've read the ingredients list myself, William just doesn't get to have it because it's not worth the risk.  I did say to my husband, who's on the board for the complex, that I have no intention of following the policy for William when we're there ... it may cause some consternation, but as far as I'm concerned, my child's safety comes first.  I'm going to be polite and discrete about it, but I'll make sure he has what he needs, just as I've done at every other hockey game and tournament we've been to this year.  And I'm thinking that I'll have a conversation with the manager, who I don't think will have a problem with it, considering why I'm asking.


1 comment:

  1. It always amazes me how many folks still "don't get it". I recently met someone (someone I thought quite intelligent mind you) who said, "Allergies are all in your head." He was serious. Indifference like that can be downright dangerous.

    No outside food policies need to have exceptions. As you said, "... safety comes first."

    ReplyDelete