Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reaction? Stomach bug? Argh ...

William had an episode of major gastrointestinal distress late Thursday evening, to the point that I couldn't even get Gravol to stay down.  We limped through the night--nine loads of laundry later--and he managed to sleep a bit.  The boys had eaten out with D that evening, so my first suspicion was an allergic reaction to sulphites.  Thankfully, this wasn't the case, as it seems that all four of us have the same bug now, but it did get me to thinking.

Before, my first reaction would've been to give him Gravol and Kaopectate, then check his temperature and keep him clean and comfortable.  Now, I'm immediately giving him Benadryl, then watching him like a hawk, waiting to see if it's just a GI bug, or if it's something more nefarious, requiring constant watch to ensure that it's not the beginning of an anaphylactic reaction.  I feel like I'm over-reacting, but I need to keep him safe ... and there seems to be a constant war between the two, which is a bit uncomfortable, to say the least.  Where do you draw the line between rationality and obsessiveness?  I don't know, at least not right now.  We seem to be making the rules up as we go.  I just hope we're making the right ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment