Sunday, October 21, 2012

Scary Sulphites?

As Hallowe’en approaches, I find myself faced with the problem of trick-or-treating with an anaphylactic child.  I’m not sure how I feel about this.  I don’t want to deny William the opportunity to go trick-or-treating, but I also don’t want to unnecessarily expose him to sulphites. This opens a whole can of worms about the extent to which parents should protect their kids from allergens ... but I'm not going to go there today.

I've thought about this for a while, and I think that the tactic we’re going to use is to keep a stash of unsulphited treats for him.  Once we’re all home from trick-or-treating, we’ll go through his bag of goodies, read labels, check anomalies online, and “trade” him Smarties (which I know are safe, and also his favourite) for the sulphited goodies.  It's not the best solution, nor perhaps the absolute safest, but I think it's the best compromise that will allow him the experience while keeping him reasonably safe.  And I'm beginning to come to the realization that reasonably safe is often the best we can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment