Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cranberry Apple Chutney

Canadian Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and while we're not cooking a turkey this year (organic free range chicken, instead), I am making my usual chutney, tweaked so it's free of sulphites. I love the mixture of sweet and tart in this recipe, and it makes a phenomenal sandwich spread with either chicken or turkey.


Ingredients*:

1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tart cooking apples (I used Macintosh)
12 ounces fresh cranberries (1 bag)
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup unsulphured raisins**
1 tbsp orange zest or preserved organic orange peel
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves


Method:

Place first two ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook for three to four minutes (onions should be transparent), then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

If you like a fairly chunky chutney, leave it as is, but if you like a smoother one like I do, run it briefly through the food processor.

Makes about 2 cups. Keeps 2 weeks in the fridge, or can be frozen.





Notes:
* I use all organic ingredients, because this ensures no cross-contamination.
** I usually use golden raisins, but have only been able to find unsulphured Thompson raisins for the last month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment