Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What was it?

We've had a busy couple of days, and eaten several meals out, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when William had a reaction last night.  On the plus side, while it was a serious one, it only involved his gastrointestinal system, so no anaphylaxis.  On the down side, because of what he ate yesterday, I can narrow the culprit down to supper, but no further.  My guess is that it was the pizza, but I'm not positive, and because he started a new round of antibiotics (for croup and strep throat) that required a double first-dose, I can't entirely rule those out as the culprit, either.

Suffice to say, the lesson learned from this is that while I've been careful, I may not be being careful enough.  And eating out presents such a challenge.  I don't want him to feel excluded by having him eat before events (like Walter's Christmas hockey party last night), which is what one of the other parents chose to do.  But I don't want him to have a reaction, either.  I'm a bit torn, because I thought I'd done enough leg-work to ensure it was safe, but I'm beginning to realize that people don't understand just how serious a severe allergy can be.  I'll do some checking this afternoon, when the rec complex is open, but my guess is that I'll have a hard time figuring out what the specific cause was.  Regardless, I can see us bringing a lot more of our own food for William for future events.  *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment